Monday 4 September 2017

I'm drowning in mushrooms!




They're everywhere. My freezer is packed full of sliced wild mushrooms. I have dried around 6kg (13 lbs) of mushrooms and they're now sitting in jars, ready for the pantry. I have a tub full of fried chanterelles in the fridge, waiting to become tonight's dinner. I also have a tub of creamy birch-bolete sauce in there, a massive amount left over from an even more massive amount we had for yesterday's lunch. AND I CAN'T STOP! I just can't walk away from an edible mushroom when I see it. It's an instinct, it gives me such an adrenaline kick! I know where to look, I know how quickly they grow back and I just can't stop myself from picking them. I absolutely love mushrooms, and this must have been the most prolific season yet, and it's only just started! 
I have stared giving them away since I'm running out of storage, but my hunter-gatherer instincts are making me pick more and more basketfuls of these little wonders. I wonder if there's a way I could sell them!





4 comments:

  1. i love mushrooms. they are simply one of my most favorite things! i would go a bit crazy if i could forage for them but i don't know how to mushroom hunt. did you see the mushroom hunting shirt i bought recently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love it! "Every mushroom is edible, some only once" - so true! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think you need to be at a carboot sale and make a fortune!!!

    ReplyDelete