Wednesday 5 October 2016

Garden update: the soil has arrived!


I recently ordered soil for my raised beds and it arrived yesterday. It's 1 tonne each topsoil and mushroom compost which I hope will be a good mix for all my veggies. It's hard work transferring all that from the front of the house to the back, one wheelbarrow at a time! Nevertheless, S and I managed to fill 3 small raised beds and 1 large one last night, with the rest to be finished by the end of the week.


Large bed - 1.1 x 2.2m. The picture was taken at a weird angle so it doesn't look it, but it's actually 30cm deep.

One of the small beds. I am planning to plant peas here next year.

I was finally able to plant my Chinese kiwi (Actinidia arguta). I have no previous experience with this plant, but it's supposed to be very hardy so I am hoping it survives the winter. I want to train it to climb the fence.


Chinese kiwi looking all cosy!

Apart from moving the soil, we still have other garden work left to do before winter and ideally we want to get everything done this week, before the heavy rain comes.


***

The field behind our garden has been very busy today - the combine harvester is out, making horrible noise. But I am more than willing to put up with a couple of noisy days a year in exchange for nice views for the rest of the year! 




1 comment:

  1. that should be a great mix for those beds! spring will be exciting!

    ReplyDelete