Wednesday 17 August 2016

Orange & Almond Cake (clean eating)

**This is copied from my old blog I had back in 2013. I thought this recipe was worth re-sharing.**



I love the concept of clean eating and although I cannot say I follow it religiously, I do my best to stick to it whenever I can.


I have recently found a fantastic recipe for a sugar-free & flour-free orange & almond cake, which I have already made a couple of times and still cannot believe how easy yet delicious it is. You only need 5 ingredients! (All credit goes to this Polish youtuber, whose recipe I only tweaked a little bit).


INGREDIENTS:
250g (or 1 3/4 cups) whole almonds*
6 eggs
2 whole oranges**
150g (or just under 1/2 cup) honey
1 tsp baking powder

*you can also use ground almonds however they are generally much more expensive.
** I use organic oranges for this recipe because they are used whole, with rind and all.

To garnish, I use a small handful of almond flakes.

METHOD:
Grease a large baking tin, line it with baking paper and grease again. I use a round 23cm (9in) tin.

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (356ºF).

Boil a kettle of water. Place the oranges in a colander and rinse well with boiling water.
In a food processor, grind the almonds (be careful not to turn them into almond butter!), then set them aside.
Beat the eggs into the food processor, add the honey and pulse a few times. Add the whole oranges and process everything until smooth. Add the ground almonds and the baking powder, process again  until everything is combined.

Pour the mixture into the baking tin, top with almond flakes and put into the preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, then let it cool completely before cutting.


This is a lovely recipe and has become one of my staples, but I plan to experiment with adding some spices such as cloves and cinnamon, or maybe replace the almonds with some other nuts... So many tasty possibilities! And for those who don't need to worry about excess calories, chocolate topping may take this recipe to a whole new level ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment