Friday 16 September 2016

Utility room makeover



Ever since we bought this house I've been planning to re-do my kitchen. Not that it's bad at the moment, but the dark cabinets make the whole room look really dingy, and the granite-effect worktops mean that I can never tell whether they're dirty or not, it's impossible to see any splashes among all the ''granite'' spots. My dream kitchen has to be white with wooden worktops... But that is not going to happen any time soon as we need to save up for it first.

Now my utility room is a different story. It had the same cabinets and worktops as my kitchen, and was just as dark. But because it's ''only'' a utility room, I thought I would give it a try and transform it cheaply into something resembling the ideal. If it turned out horrible, I would have just keep the door shut and nobody would have to look at it really. But it actually turned out pretty well - and in total I only spent around £40. I bought two tubs of furniture paint, two rolls of wood-effect sticker type thing and a few metres of fabric.

And here's how it turned out!


From this...
To this!


Cats' litter trays and recycling bins are now out of sight


Worktop before
Worktop after

I even made simple little blinds






It still houses my washing/cleaning supplies, recycling bins, gardening stuff and cat's litter trays, and so it will never be pristine, but it feels a lot brighter and cleaner now, and I enjoy using it a lot more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment